Check back for updates throughout the month of September!
For many, a daily meal is just a choice of what to eat for dinner. But for people facing hunger, a daily meal poses a very different type of choice. It’s often an impossible choice between food and other critical needs such as electricity, childcare, or medicine.
Thursday, September 1 marks the start of Hunger Action Month, when Food Bank for the Heartland is partnering with Feeding America to inspire people to take action and raise awareness for millions of Americans facing the impossible choice of hunger. Scroll down to view a list of this month’s events and activities.
For this special month, the Michael & Michelle Berlin Foundation, Neil & Elissa Hamill and a Friend of the Food Bank are providing a matching gift of up to a total of $60,000!
WAYS YOU CAN JOIN US IN THE FIGHT AGAINST HUNGER:
Food donations are integral to our mission—providing meals for thousands each month.
Volunteers are the heart of our organization and ensure people across our service area receive the nutritious food they need.
Use your voice to make a difference for the more than 207,000 neighbors facing food insecurity.
View our upcoming events and learn how you can make a difference.
Hunger action month events and activities
Below are some important tactics the Food Bank is taking to inspire our community to help fight hunger.
- September 1 and 2: Coverage with KETV kicked off on Monday, August 29 leading up to KETV’s Giving Wednesday and will continue through September 2.
- September 6–9: WoodmenLife Tower in downtown Omaha will light orange in honor of Hunger Action Month.
- September 7–30: Listen to KXKT KAT 103.7, KGAB AM 650, 99.9 KGOR, and Sweet 98.5 to hear from Food Bank staff and more about Hunger Action Month.
- September 9–11: An article about the Food Bank will run in the Omaha World Herald and several other markets—including Columbus, Fremont, Kearney, and Lexington—during the weekend of September 9. A Food Bank advertisement will run in these same markets the following weekend.
- September 10: Join us as we Stuff the Truck at the Pepperwood Baker’s location (156th & Dodge) from 10 a.m. to noon, with a live remote from Sweet 98.5.
- September 23: Hunger Action Day.
- Wear orange, spread awareness about food insecurity, and take action against hunger in the Heartland. We’re excited to share that RAYGUN has partnered with us to design a special shirt! 20% of the proceeds from each shirt go back to the Food Bank. View the shirt in two different color options here. Use code FoodBank20 to receive 20% off your shirt purchase. Note: This code is good for one time only and must be used during the month of September.
- Join us on September 23 for a Hunger Action Day Drive-Thru Food Drive, presented by Shadow Lake Towne Center and Carhartt. Learn more here.
- Bellevue University will light their Administrative Services building orange in honor of Hunger Action Day.
- Physicians Mutual Insurance Company will light their building off Dodge Street (downtown Omaha) orange in honor of Hunger Action Day.
- September 23–25: Nebraska Medicine will light up the Davis Global Center at 42nd and Leavenworth in Omaha orange to recognize Hunger Action Month.
- September 24 and 25: The Capitol District in Omaha will light up the main plaza orange in honor of Hunger Action Month.
Help spread the word on your social media channels and to your networks. Thank you for your joining us in the fight against hunger!