March 19, 2019
Food Bank for the Heartland
Recent flooding in central and eastern Nebraska and western Iowa qualifies for disaster response and recovery actions as more than 1,000 families have been impacted by recent weather events. There are three basic phases guiding Food Bank for the Heartland’s activity in support of disaster response and recovery.
The Food Bank is working diligently with our partner agencies to provide food, water, hygiene items, and cleaning supplies to the thousands affected by the floods. With your support, we have sourced 610,440 pounds of emergency food and supplies and have started distributing them to local communities.
We are grateful for the tremendous support we have received from individuals, organizations and companies locally and across the country.
Food Bank for the Heartland’s Disaster Response and Recovery Plan
- Food Bank for the Heartland will support first responders including American Red Cross, Salvation Army, state and county emergency response units, food pantries, kitchens, and faith-based organizations.
- This effort includes solicitation, handling, storage and distribution of products to an established network of agencies across Nebraska and western Iowa.
- Food will be distributed to disaster areas through the Food Bank from a combination of sources including existing inventory, emergency purchased food and Feeding America inventory.
- The Food Bank will distribute 15-pound disaster pantry packs with staples items including shelf stable and easy to prepare foods.
- Volunteers will be needed to help assemble pantry packs.
- Institute pop-up mobile food pantries with local partners for communities impacted.
- Continue collaboration with existing food pantry partners in impacted areas to deliver and distribute foods such as fresh produce, frozen foods, dairy, canned goods and baked goods.
Food Bank Mobile Pantries in June
FEMA Press Release For FEMA assistance call: 1-800-621-3362
Nebraska Strong Resources
Road Closures Due to Flooding
Find a Free AirBnB Home If You Have Been Displaced
List Your Home on AirBnb
Nebraska Department of Insurance
Cleanup Tips for Flooding
Nebraska Extension Resources
Tips for Self-care During This Ongoing Disaster