The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps low-income individuals and families buy the food they need for good health. Unfortunately, about one-third of the eligible population does not take advantage of this benefit. Food Bank for the Heartland’s goal is to increase participation in Nebraska by assisting the eligible population access this valuable nutrition assistance benefit.
Food Bank for the Heartland’s SNAP outreach program focuses on three areas:
• Awareness – A number of print and electronic resources are available for you to distribute to your clients to educate and encourage them to apply for SNAP if they qualify.
• Assistance – Our SNAP Outreach Specialists are available to directly assist clients with the prescreening, application, interview and verification process via a toll free hotline. We are also available to schedule events at your location to directly assist your clients with the application process.
• Access – The Permanent Access Site program offered by Food Bank for the Heartland provides your agency with a computer for public use in applying for benefits and training for your staff to assist with the application process.
Your SNAP partnership with Food Bank for the Heartland will help you reach the needy in your community in an additional way. SNAP participation has positive economic impact in communities – $9 in total spending is generated for every $5 in new SNAP benefits.
How can your agency get involved?
• Distribute SNAP materials provided by Food Bank for the Heartland to your clients
• Host a SNAP event to sign up clients for benefits
• Partner with Food Bank for the Heartland as a permanent access site
For more information, please contact Brianne Kemp
, SNAP Outreach Specialist, at (402) 905-4812.